For the Love of Cooking!|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Homemade Apple Hand Pies
Rate this Recipe
Serves 15 |
They’re easy, fun and totally delicious.
|1/3 cup brown sugar|
|1/2 teaspoon cinnamon|
|2 apples, (tart variety, peeled, diced)|
|1/2 teaspoon salt|
|2 sticks butter, (cut into small cubes)|
|4 teaspoons lemon juice|
|2 tablespoons butter|
|2 1/2 cups flour|
|1/4 cup sour cream|
|1/2 cup water, (more for pie edges and egg wash)|
|1 egg yolk|
|Sugar, (for pie top dusting)|
- Pour salt, butter and flour into a food processor. Pulse ingredients until it resembles coarse sand. In a mixing bowl, whisk together water, lemon juice and sour cream. Pour liquid ingredients into flour mixture. Pulse again, until small clumps form.
- Lay dough on a floured surface, knead, then roll into a ball. Wrap with plastic and place in refrigerator for 60 minutes.
- (About 5-10 minutes before removing dough from refrigerator.) Melt butter in a skillet on medium heat. Add apples and sauté for 3 minutes. Pour in brown sugar and cinnamon, cook for 2 minutes. Set skillet aside, let cool.
- Take dough out of refrigerator. Cut dough in half and roll both halves to 1/8 inch thickness. Use biscuit cutter or rim of bowl to cut out circles from dough. Place circles on parchment line baking sheet. Place sheet in refrigerator and chill for 30 minutes. (Collect dough scraps, roll into ball to make more circles.)
- Spoon in apple filling, a tablespoon each circle, wet edges of dough with water, fold over and crimp shut. Place back in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Make egg wash with egg yolk and 2 teaspoons water. Whisk together.
- Remove pies from refrigerator, brush tops with egg wash, then sprinkle with sugar. Poke hole in the top of each pie then place in oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
See Other Recipes Like This
Treat Dad Like a King!
Show Dad how much he means to you by preparing his all-time favorite foods. View Recipes >
Pack the Perfect Picnic!
Grab your picnic basket and blanket, and get ready for a moveable feast! View Recipes >
Slow Cooked, Savory Dishes For A Relaxing Day
There's nothing quite like hot food on a cold day. Everything that's delicious collected one one place. Hearty, rich and flavorful, that's what makes comfort food the best. View Recipes >